Monday, May 19, 2014

Sloppy pay it forward

On another 2 .5 hour trip we visited the same Starbucks drive through in which a month ago my coffee was paid for by the car in front of me.
I tell my little guys we are paying for the car behind us this time.
We pull in and I order an iced coffee, a chocolate chip cookie, and an ice water.

No one is behind us at this point...

As I pull up to the window the very same friendly young gentlemen from last month is ready to hand me my items.
Two cars have now pulled up behind us.
When he brings my change, I ask the total for the car behind me. He is holding $15 and some change to give back to me and answers $6.40.  I say, can you take the $10 dollar bill and change to cover it...

Just then this strong gust of wind blows the $10 bill from his hand, out the window, and directly in front of my car.  My youngest boy is sound asleep, my eldest watching the exchange.   I pull the car up, turn it off, and get out.

Of course as soon as I get to the bill it flies a little further again and again, farther and farther away from my car, my children....
Thoughts go through my head:
I thought I could be suave for once..

I grasp the bill in my fingers and another gust removes it again.
Thinking again:

Maybe this wasn't meant to be...
Why am I chasing a paper bill....
How many people are watching me?....

I am stooped over with my eyes on the bill not really realizing I am in a rather busy parking lot.  I run out in front of a red jeep.  Fortunately he was paying attention and did not run over me (the silly fool in front of him).  I pounce and have the bill.

I run back to the window and hand it to the gentleman.  He is apologetic, but really neither one of us know whether to laugh hysterically or hide under a rock.

Exchange finished, I rush off, glimpsing in the mirror to see 4-5 cars behind me that had to wait through my suave pursuit....

Later, I laughed a lot.  The car behind me probably thought I bought their coffee because they had to wait on me....
I tried, but realized I am much better at unplanned pay it forwards....

When retelling the story to my parents upon arrival, my eldest explained, 'Mama ran right in front of a red jeep to get a dollar bill, but he stopped before he hit her!".....

No comments:

Post a Comment