Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Valentine Immunity Lollipops






My first born did not have much sugar until he was three years old. And then I desperately needed to potty train and introduced M&M's.  Our pediatrician gave the boys their first lollipop, a dum dum at age 4 and 2. I have been trying to create a healthy replacement without artificial colors and flavors for 2 years. I am finally happy with the results.

Lessons I've learned from many batches:
*Use a wooden spoon
*Let the temperature rise gradually.  I tried making candy and lollipops without a candy thermometer and I burnt the batches each time. You can buy a candy thermometer for $2.00-$5.00 at most grocery stores.
* Take off of the heat right before candy thermomoter reaches 302 degrees. If it goes past 302 you will have a slightly burnt taste and they will easily crack.
* Molding is made easy with powdered sugar molds.  Use any flat shape and press it into the powdered sugar.  You will have a dusting of powdered sugar on your lollipops, but I think it is pretty.
* Sugar or Honey are essential to lollipops. I've tried to cook down Elderberry syrup, but too much makes a burnt fruit taste.
*I like to think that I am adding vitamin C and some of the benefits of Elderberry in the lollipops, but really there is only a minute amount of immunity without the essential oil.
*Pomegranite juice made a light orange lollipop, adding Elderberry to the pomegranite made pretty red hearts. Cherry juice alone makes a dark Cabernet.

Valentine Immunity Drops
Recipe:

3/4 cup white sugar
1 tbs. local honey
2 tbs. pomegranite juice, elderberry syrup, or cherry juice ( any combination for desired color)
3 drops Onguard essential oil (Doterra's immunity builder), optional

Combine all ingredients, except essential oil, in a heavy bottomed pot.
Stir constantly with a wooden spoon while watching thermometer.
Turn off heat at 300F. Add Onguard essential oil(optional). Stir. With wide spoon, fill molds. Work quickly.
One recipe makes about 15 lollipops.  I often make 8 lollipops and fill my ravioli maker (sprayed with coconut oil) with the rest for little lozenges.
Let cool at room temperature, if you have little people tripping over you to get one, place in freezer for 10 minutes.
Soak pan and utensils in hot soapy water. Wait until thermometer has cooled a bit before adding to soapy water or you may cause undue stress to the glass.

Enjoy lollipops made by you.









No comments:

Post a Comment