Saturday, August 11, 2012

Bounty in the Garden ??

I dream of Bounty...
I want to have so many eggs that I have to make lemon curd and chiffon cake.
I picture baskets bursting with fruit, so much that once I finish making jam, I must also make a pie, a gallette, a crumble, and then have containers frozen for a winter pie!
While starting seeds in the middle of winter, I dream of my largest pots filled with tomatoes, and my windows filling with steam while tomato juice drips down my elbows.
I would love the dilemma of building more shelving to hold a colorful assortment of canned goods from our garden.

But this is life, a fever came the day we made a small batch of strawberry jam (we will keep that to ourselves), the deer jumped the fence and ate the off every tomato right before the first batch ripened, they trimmed the tops of my beans and cucumbers and set them back weeks, a rash and storm came the day planned for blueberry picking.  and those chickens,  I still dream.

And Yet,
We grow food, we pick fruit, we shop local.
We do the best that we can.
My bounty is in small bowls, little hands, and big hearts as I feed my family from the garden with 5 green beans here, 10 cherry tomatoes there, and 2 carrots tomorrow.

one parsnip and some potatoes


Kale, cherry tomatoes, amaranth and garlic sauteed from the garden.



Our first compost pile pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment