Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sleeping on that

Rudolf Steiner talked a great deal in his lectures of the importance of sleep and of forgetting.  In the Waldorf grades we tell the children a story one day, recall the next, and work with it the third.  But they are always receiving another story, another lesson each day just like life.
I try to preserve a little piece of quiet at the end of the day to reflect on the day.  My 3 year old often says at bedtime, "So we had a good day today, Did you have a good day today?", and I say, " yes because I was able to spend it with you!" and we recall some of the special moments of the day.
In the practice of Anthroposophy we intentionally give of our experiences and lessons to the spiritual world when we sleep, and ask the higher powers to help us.  The intention is that our lessons are within us, not just in our prefrontal lobe...
I don't know if it is because my sleep has been disrupted for so long, or the lack of recalling my lessons, but I feel like I am doing more forgetting lately than building up.
So my new initiative is to pay attention to the present moment and find the lesson in each day.

I think I'll sleep on this post and publish tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment