Monday, October 21, 2013

Putting the Garden to Sleep


Oh it has been a good year for green beans!
We had a solid month of zucchini, a couple good tomato salads, about 10 little perfect cucumbers and a little bit of everything else.

When I think back I had two garden goals.  Plant many runner beans and cucumbers.  My little guys are not huge tomato fans or big fans of lettuce, but they could eat cucumbers and beans every day.  I think I have tired them of green beans this season.  After a break I am sure we will love the frozen beans in our winter soups.

I cut down the green bean vines yesterday, in the middle of October and they were still growing.  For 4 months we have picked a bowl of beans every day or two. The largest beans we dried to keep for seeds.


Here is a little recap that I hope I reread in the Spring.
Success in the garden this year:
Green beans
Sunflowers
Zinnias
Parsnips
Carrots
Parsley
tatsoi
kale
early lettuce
Zucchini
rutabagas
green onions

Sad plants in the garden this year:
Cauliflower
beets
cucumbers
leeks
tomatoes
winter squash

What I forgot to Plant:
Patty Pan
Broccoli

Buy new seeds next year:
Beets
Carrots
Broccoli
Parsnips
cucumbers

No comments:

Post a Comment