Sunday, August 4, 2013

Overdose of Birthday Cake and icing


Two birthday boys, Three Celebrations in one week.
I love cake!  I love making them, I love decorating them, I love sharing them, and I really enjoy eating them.
But I do believe I am caked out. At least for a week.
My husband requested a banana creme cake. He saw the picture in a library book I had checked out in the Spring. It did not turn out like the picture, but was delicious.
The cake was created by an artist.  A woman who paints cookies with a paint brush.  I enjoy decorating cakes and cookies, but usually with a few flowers.
By the time I was finished with this cake, I was tired and it was hard to keep a steady hand to write PAPA with a spatula. I used 3 dozen eggs between the cakes and frittatas served at the birthday party.
This cake is a three layer white cake with a homemade custard filling, bananas, and a meringue icing.  Her icing recipe was too complicated so I resorted to the good old 7 minute fluffy icing with my own twist.
 



7 Minute Fluffy Icing: (Great to ice a dairy free cake)
2 room temperature egg whites (yolks were in custard)
2 tsp honey (makes icing taste like honey, can use corn syrup if you keep it in your house)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup water

place stainless steel bowl over pan of boiling water. I then remove from stove because my hand mixer's cord does not reach the stove. Beat on high for 6-7 minutes.  I like the icing fluffy so I stopped at 6 minutes, continue for more firm icing.  Ice cake immediately. The icing with stiffen some.





Marble Heart Cake:
Joel asked for a heart cake with dark Chocolate icing.

Chocolate Ganache:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tbs. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

In stainless steel bowl over pan with hot water place cream and chips.  Whisk together while melting.  When mixture turns dark add vanilla and butter.  Whisk until butter melts. Let cool slightly but apply to cake while warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment