Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Good Night my Little Ones

Our bedtime routine has changed a few times in 4 years.  Beds and rooms have changed, our family expanded, nursing stopped and sometimes Papa takes over.
The things we keep consistent are the songs and verses.
They are a sweet transition into sleep.
Often, on a day that was too full or an evening a little off track, I find myself singing the songs several times.  But each time I sing them I hear a yawn and a calmness come to their hearts.

My favorite Lullaby:
Good night my little ones,
May you sleep with the sun,
And arise in the morning light,
With your hearts warm and bright.

to a tune I created.

Recently, My little guys decided they wanted to sleep in the same room.  They begged me to bring the toddler bed up from basement so little brother could sleep in big brothers room.  They were both so thrilled they "went to bed" after dinner, to pretend sleep in their new setting.  I could not believe it. That night they both slept happily in the same room for most of the night!

We read 2-3 books, say good night to our little friends (Pendy Bear, Dolls, and a Dog), tuck them in, tuck boys in, then say verse, sing songs, and I usually rub one back with my right hand and two feet with my left until quiet sleep drifts over them.

Last night, Big brother had things on his mind.  He needed to share some important things.  He had a plan for fishing and a fishing spot he needed to try.  I tried to encourage his imagination without promising to go fishing tomorrow. He also told me a change in his imaginary friend.  Anka Danka has been a part of his play for 2 years.  She is who he calls on the phone, who he plans adventures with, and who's house he dreams about when he needs to dream a bit or travel a bit in a pretend car.
He said," Anka Danka has died Mama,"
I said, "Oh sweetie, I am so sorry to hear. What happened?"
He said," She got a snake bite and died. I am sad about that".
I said," Yes, that is sad, I will say a prayer for her."
He said, "Yes, and I am going to pretend I have a new friend now. His name is Sandy- Dandy".
And then the conversation was finished. His wheels were still turning, but we were finished discussing it. He had a whole new friend to imagine and I did not want to influence it.

I then sung lullabies once again...

Later as I sat knitting I realized I needed to leave space for reflection.
We all need to reflect at the end of the day.  It is one of the reasons I write this blog.  We often review the day, but to reflect is altogether different.

This evening, I made room for reflection and somewhere it went haywire.
The boys were contemplating God!
First day of intentional reflection and they pick a doozy.
Little brother said, "What is God?" "Is he an animal?", "Is he a cloud?"
Big brother said, "No silly!  He is a human being!"
Then they giggled and continued the discussion a bit, completely stalling sleep.
Eventually they needed separated to calm down.

I am asking my angels tonight to help me with this one...
Past midnight tonight, I'll contemplate tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment