Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Homemade Shampoo

Oh Shampoo, silly shampoo.
Something we use so frequently and yet think so little of.
Well my husband and I have been thinking about it a lot lately. 
We can't seem to find one that we like, that smells good, that we would like to smell like, and that is less than $8.00 a bottle.  Really why is good smelling shampoo so expensive?

I decided to try and make some, scent it the way I like, and see how is works.
I spent some time at the Co-op to see if I could buy a small amount of Jojoba oil and Aloe Vera. The smallest bottles were $5.00-$8.00. Still in the experimental stage, I wasn't willing to pay what I would for a bottle of shampoo, yet.

And sometimes the universe sends me a sign:
That evening I pulled a 400 degree pan from the oven and pulled it back in a way that singed my bicep.  I remembered my unattended Aloe plant.  It was happily growing in front of the sunny basement window. I pulled off one leaf to treat my burn and noticed the size of the plant.  Why buy aloe when my plant is big enough to extract some. About 3 large leaves gave me 2 tablespoons of aloe.


Recipe:
2oz castile soap (half lavender half peppermint scented)
2 tbs Aloe Vera
1 tsp olive oil
10 drops essential oil (I used Pillow Talk)
6 oz boiled and cooled to warm water

Combine and add to a previously used pump bottle.

As I shampooed my hair the first time, my husband opened the door and said "What is that, that smells so good?" "Oh, just the shampoo I made" was my answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment