Friday, October 17, 2014

Paying it forward


Yesterday started OK. I was up late sewing and may have been just a little cranky as a result. We had planned to make the 2 hour trip to Grandma and Grandpa's for a very exciting adventure.  The dig date for their new abode was Tuesday.  We did not go down with runny noses in the pouring rain and decided instead to journey on the most beautiful day of the week, Thursday.
I had bags packed and almost everything set out, but I was a bit rushed (or groggy) getting us in the car.
I did not pack a snack or even water to drink.
An hour into the trip, after being stopped by construction traffic, and slowed by a wide load, I was hungry and the peace in the car seemed to be waning.  Little guy said, "Mama can I have some water?". And then I felt like a neglectful mother.  I couldn't even pack them some water...
We got out at a rest area, really because I had to go.  Both boys can hold their bladder better than Mama these days.  They got a sip of water from the drinking fountain and we continued on.
Still hungry, we approached the half way mark, and a Starbucks drive thru.  I knew Grandma was preparing a big lunch for us and thought of what I could get just to tide us over.
As we pulled up to the sign to make our order, little brother says (with a drooling mouth looking at the big picture of a sandwich before him), "Mama can I please have the sandwich with Swiss?".  I order my iced coffee, two ice waters, and the small package of shortbread cookies. I explain that grandma is making us lunch, we just got a little cookie to tide us over.
Then I approach the window and realize I left my traveling cash at home. The only cash I have is a $10 bill destined to be the tip for the lovely lady who will fix the color of my grey henna frizz. I pull out my debit card to give to the young man at the window.
He hands me my coffee and says, "Your order was paid for by the car in front of you" (with a smile). I said, "Really? That was really kind.  Did they say why?" (I realize I didn't even see them just vaguely a white car in front of me. Then I think, Did they see me apply the lavender oil roll on before searching for my cash? Did I look stressed? Sad? Or did they just do this for whoever was destined to come behind them)  He said, "They didn't give a reason, they just did".  I said, "I will pay it forward".

My bill was approximately $4.00.  An amount large to some and quite small to others.
The amount or the quantity is of no importance to me.
It was the gift given, just because and it made my day.
Through the next detour I was not bothered. I was elated and happy; thinking of how strangers did this kind deed for me.  It still makes me smile, the synchronicity of life.  A gift given when I needed a little lift.

A day that began a little off turned around quite nicely.
We arrived at my parents house , had a nice lunch, and then went to the farm/work site/ new house...
The boys continued to play for hours outside with their grandparents beside them and I went to have my hair transformed.

I haven't necessarily paid it forward, unless sharing a few secrets with my stylist, like making yogurt counts.
As I shared the story of the day some of my dear friends told me they paid it forward the same day.
What a small world we all coexist in.


No comments:

Post a Comment