Monday, July 15, 2013

Elderflower Fizz and Syrup

 Last fall I had enough berries on my Elderberry bush to make Elderberry syrup.
That is found here  http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1619104225715683534#editor/target=post;postID=3054331216500554520;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=5;src=postname



 In the Garden:
I planted five bare root bushes 3 years ago with my eldest son on my back.  Two bushes survived an occasional mowing and the relocation of our garden.  Now one bush is enormous and the other still small due to the location of each.  What I did not know is that these beautiful plants once established send out off shoots in the Spring.  My large bush had at least 10 baby plants around its base.  I gave some away and planted three in new locations in the front garden.  The shoot that I let grow under the large bush turned sideways and a bit ugly and I tore it out.   When I planted the first Elderberry bushes I told my Grandfather (then 92). He said, "Why would you plant those? They will take over!" So I must forewarn you as my grandfather did. If your soil is quite healthy you could create an Elderberry hedge in a few years.  If you do not want large beautiful plants with heavy floral scent in Spring and healthful berries in fall then do not plant.  Also, it is wise to prune back each year to keep them a reasonable size for picking.
On another garden note, I learned that the leaves (that you will most definitely prune) are great for the compost pile.
Health Benefits:
Elder flowers are high in Quercetin, a natural anti-histamine.  This seems just about perfect to me.  In the spring when the pollen is at it's highest, nature gave us these beautiful flowers to drink, be merry, and calm the runny nose and itchy eyes of the gardener.
Elderberries have so many healthful qualities and when made into syrup my children love to take a spoonful.
Toxic Stems:
Just a note of caution here.  The stems of the plant are toxic.  Do not consume them.  It can be trying to get the flowers and berries off of the little stems.  In the fizz I trimmed as much away from the flower as possible and strained the rest out after two days.   I did try to make a tea and discovered that applying hot water to the stems brings out brown yuck and did not work.  When picking berries some of the little stems make there way in but you will strain them out or pick up with some tweezers.
Elderflower Fizz:
12 heads of Elder flowers
3 cups of sugar
6 lemons
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Filtered water

We used two 1/2 gallon jars (One used to be a Jalapeno Jar).  We placed 1 1/2 cups of sugar in the bottom of each jar and added hot water to dissolve the sugar.  Then filled it half way up with cold water.  I then gave my little guys the task of adding 6 flower heads to each jar and 3 lemons cut in thick slices.  They stirred while I placed a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in each jar. You could easily make half a recipe in this manner as well.

Mixing the Elderflower Fizz
After two days we strained the liquid.  It was enough to fit into One jar.  I labeled it Elder and left on the counter for two weeks. Then bottled it into wine bottles and some beer bottles for distributing to friends.




My Elderberry Bush sent out new blooms for a couple weeks. I decided to experiment some more.  This time making a syrup that can be added to tea, whipped cream, cakes...


Elderflower Syrup:
6 flower heads
1 cup sugar
3 cups water

I made a simple syrup on the stove. Combine 1 cup of sugar and 3 cups water.  Cook on medium heat until slightly thick.  Let cool to room temperature.
Set flower heads with umbels down in bowl.  Pour syrup over and cover with plastic wrap or towel and place in fridge overnight or about 8-10 hours.
Strain into two 12 ounce mason jars or several little jelly jars for gifts.
Elderflower Syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment