Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Nurtured by wool

I had the opportunity to go to the Kent Farmer's Market as an artist and sell my wares this past weekend.
It was wonderful to talk with people in the community and to hear praise of my creations.

I also made great new connections and had many meaningful conversations.
Following is one connection that became a true treat:
We were invited by a sheep farmer and his wife, to their farm to feed a lamb its 3 pm bottle.
Our new friend remembered my boys when he was selling his wool the weeks before at the market.
He said, "They were so interested in the wool",  I said, "Yes, I could give them a basket of wool and they are happy to play with it for some time".  I can talk about my love of wool and theirs for some time and we did.  After perusing the market they came back and asked if I would like to bring the boys to the farm to feed the lamb.  I said, "Yes, Please!"
The offer turned into a lovely visit, where we fed the lamb, gathered eggs, looked for the cats, and conversed over refreshments with new friends.

I also had a conversation with a friend at the market that made me ponder some things.
We were talking about how we change and try new things with each child. Such as cloth diapering, baby wearing, nursing longer...
There was a 7 day old baby at the market, without a hat or socks, her tiny feet were sticking out of a carrier. I wanted to grab a blanket, swaddle the baby and place her back in
Later, I was thinking of how well we did in the beginning of our boys life, but as the boys get older, I tend to let go of some of my original intentions. I observed that most people go into parenting with less information on how to nurture a newborn but slowly come to the nurturing aspects of childhood.  Sometimes due to guilt, I wish I was ignorant to the importance of nurturing and protecting the senses.

I began parenthood with strict ideals.
Always wear a hat, even in summer.
Keep them warm and wrapped in wool.
Protect the senses, and enrich them
Breast milk is best.
Keep them close.
Plenty of sleep
Natural fibers on skin
Natural toys for play
No media

When my second son came around I let in disposable diapers, limited media for my eldest, and occasional plastic toys.
I may have kept them sheltered a little too long.  Playing with others was difficult at first.
We are working on this now with playgroups and outings.

But lately, several people have told me my boys are unique.
They are inquisitive, talkative, and engaged.
They say Please and Thank you unprompted, and ask interesting questions that adults enjoy answering.
They are beautiful, Healthy, innocent, and intelligent.
This reminds me of how important the job of nurturing is and to continue to protect their senses while presenting them with natural sensory experiences like feeding a lamb and playing with wool.

No comments:

Post a Comment