Monday, July 22, 2013

Sprout Cakes Gluten and Dairy Free

I have been playing with sprouts.
I finally got around to sprouting regular lentils from the cupboard.  They were good, but I sprouted many and they needed steamed slightly to take out the starchiness.  My boys ate them with humus, but there were still more sprouts. Therefore, Sprout Cakes were born.
By the way, "Cakes" are pretty interesting around here.  For some reason I can put most veggies and grains in a "cake" or "patty" and they are devoured with a little "sauce" (usually yogurt with a little lemon or Tahini dressing).  What might be fit for a pauper (usually all the leftovers in the fridge) is a King's dinner at our table.
I decided to make these gluten free and it worked.  They were light, airy, well loved, and nutritious.

Recipe:
Sprout Cakes:
1 1/2 cups sprouted lentils, lightly steamed
2 red potatoes boiled till tender and cubed
2 tablespoons homemade pesto (I used dairy free with Walnuts)
1/2 cup beet greens
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs

1. Boil Potatoes.  In last minutes add sprouted lentils. Drain.
2. Make Pesto.  1/2 cup basil leaves, 5 cloves garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1/3 cup walnuts, Puree.
3. Remove all but 2 tbs. pesto from food processor.  Add potatoes, sprouts, and beet greens.
4. Puree till smooth. Then add eggs, salt, baking powder and pulse to combine.
5. Cook on a griddle for a few minutes each side. Keep warm in 250degree oven.








Makes no sense to serve gluten free cakes with pasta. I know.  But I had homemade pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment