Monday, July 22, 2013

Soft Boiled Eggs introduced by Grandma

On our last trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house (My Parents), we were introduced to soft boiled eggs.
I grew up reading Bread and Jam for Frances, where the father badger loves to eat soft boiled eggs for breakfast.  Well it is hard to believe, being the egg lover I am, that I did not recall having sampled a soft boiled egg or really how to make one...
My eldest loves eggs! He will eat them for any meal and devour them as long as I do not try to sneak in tomato, red pepper, or chard. Grandma told us about the soft boiled eggs her grandmother used to make her. We were enthralled.  "You mean you put it in a glass?", said I.  Then my father chimed in, "Your mom used to make them for me all the time before you awoke in the morning."  Then I said, "Why weren't they made for me?".  My parents looked at each other and said, "I don't think you liked them".  So I have tried them, when small, and I guess I turned up my nose.
The conversation sent Grandma to the kitchen immediately to make one and my eldest son found his new favorite food.

Here is the Preparation:
Boil water to cover eggs
Add eggs to water with slotted spoon.
set timer for 3-4 minutes (depending how much soft you prefer)
Prepare cups with broken bread and a big dollop of butter.
Remove eggs with slotted spoon to a folded towel or egg cup.
Crack top with a butter knife
scoop out egg with a small spoon into prepared cup
Mix up and devour. (Usually in our pajamas)










1 comment: